Academics Math Department
The Mathematics department at Bishop Allen is committed to helping each student realize their mathematical potential. Department members encourage all those enrolled in courses of mathematics to complete and review their work daily, seeking assistance immediately when necessary. To facilitate this learning process, extra help sessions are available for any student in need of clarification in mathematics. Math teachers will be available on selected dates before or after school if you get stumped or confused!
The department offers enriched mathematics classes beginning in grade 9. The academic curriculum is enhanced and augmented by Advanced Placement resource material. In their senior year, students may write the Advanced Placement exam in Calculus.
Students are invited to participate in various Canadian mathematics competitions prepared by the University of Waterloo:
- The Pascal, Cayley and Fermat contests (prepared for students
in grades 9, 10, and 11, respectively):
- The aim of the contests is to provide an opportunity
for students to have fun and to develop their mathematical
problem solving ability.
- The top five contestants in Canada receive Gold Medals
and students scoring in the top 25% of Canadian competitors
will receive a Certificate of Distinction.
- The Euclid contest is designed primarily for students in their final year of secondary school:
- The aim of the competition is to provide students with an opportunity to develop their mathematical problem solving ability.
- Each of the top five competitors in Canada will receive a Gold Medal and will be awarded a Centre for Education in Mathematics and Computing cash prize of $500. Each of the next top ten competitors will receive a Centre for Education in Mathematics and Computing book prize. Each student scoring in the top 25% of Canadian competitors will receive a Certificate of Distinction.